Thursday, July 05, 2007

Lindsay, oh Lindsay

My daughter will be turning 8 this month, which brings its share of "serious" conversations. We discussed where babies come from (she deemed this "dis-GUS-ting." Good.), drugs, and alcohol, all in a rather hypothetical and removed sense. As in, "sometimes some people do certain things..." She also is reluctant to discuss these things. She just plain doesn't like it. She also likes all things Disney. So she was watching something rather benign Disney channel show and they were advertising an upcoming Lindsay Lohan movie to be aired over the summer.



Later in the day, K the daughter very shyly asked me why there is a movie with Lindsay Lohan when she had been arrested. I was shocked! How did she know that the little misguided actress had been arrested? What does she know of such things? It wasn't all that long ago that I knew everything that went into my child's head. So I asked her if she knew what LL had been arrested for. Her answer? She thought LL had been arrested for drinking too much caffeine. Hee hee.



So then we had the requisite discussion in 8-year-old terms about poor choices, the illness of addiction, and so forth. All the while, I was mentally cursing LL for forcing this issue with my little girl and taking away just a little more of her innocence. There's also the issue of corporate responsibility: Will Disney continue to employ LL? And why do so many Disney shows and movies have no mothers in sight?



I suppose this is the age where my daughter is starting to learn how sticky life can be. I pray that I can guide her through it so she is a strong adult. Oy, what a responsibility.

No comments: