Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Her Dreams


When our daughter was 2 1/2, she wanted to be a pig farmer. She was a pig for Halloween for 3 years straight. As expected, that dream went by the wayside in favor of wanting to be a librarian, although her love of pigs has remained. We were at the fair again on Sunday, walking through the cattle barns, and she told me this:

"Mom, do you want to know the plan for my life?"
"Yes, honey, please share."
"I am going to be a farmer."
"OK, what animals will you have?"
"Well... pigs, of course. And cows that I will milk by hand."
"Sounds like a lot of work. Anything else?"
"Goats. What else should I have?"
"Sheep?"
"Yes, sheep. Then I can knit their wool."
"What about being a librarian?"
"Farmers like me like to read. I will finish my work early then go read books. I will have a lot of books that my neighbors can come borrow."
"Make sure you write your name in your books."
"OK."
I guess this means more trips to North Dakota are in store. Sigh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's a book your daughter would love - Sophie's Tom by Dick King-Smith. A story about a little girl who wants to grow up to be a farmer lady...

And I disagree. You write very well.

Amy said...

Thanks, Nutmeg! Let's be friends.