Wednesday, October 01, 2008

I'm not that kind of girl

Last night Daughter attempted to go to yoga with me. I prepped her ahead of time saying that it's a whole hour long, there's no talking, I'd love to be with her but be forewarned. On the way there we went over the "rules" again. She was unyoga-ly hyped for the task ahead of her. Can you tell where this is heading?

Halfway through the practice, she sweetly asks, "How much longer?" Uh-oh. Every mom knows what that means. Still, I give her the benefit of the doubt. A few minutes later she whispers, "I'm bored." I gave her a "good luck with that" sort of shrug from my downward dog position. Then I slowly took compassion on her and asked if she wanted to go. Pretty darn nice of me, huh? She declined. Another sun salutation for me. Dang, I'm doing great tonight, I think! This is wonderful! Next thing I know, I look upside-down at my girl, whose head is on her knees and whose shoulders are shaking. This is getting serious. She says she's hungry and bored and wants to go, but doesn't want to interrupt what I'm doing. I remind her that she is more important than yoga (but only barely... don't want her to get a big head, you know). We quietly slip out of the room.

Walking down the hallway I have my arm around her and reassure her that it's not a big deal, that it's totally ok, that we really need to go get a snack. A few quiet moments pass, and I venture,
"We learned something tonight, didn't we?"
"Yeah," she responds. "I'm not a sit-and-wait kind of girl."

I'm glad she's a woman of action, not a sit-and-wait person. It's a quality that will serve her well in life. I adore this child.

2 comments:

nutmeg said...

My kids would have laughed at me doing yoga and probably made me pass gas loudly. Never will I bring them! You have a good girl.

Amy said...

That's why I take her there when she's too tired to really do me much harm. Why? 'Cause ultimately it's all about me.