Tuesday, August 21, 2007

People who Overreact

My job involves talking with instructors and helping them find the right textbooks. They are always professional and well-mannered. Occasionally I get a student posing as an instructor trying to get answer keys. Because of this, I usually don't invest too much time on them until I have met the instructor or can verify that they are employed by one of my schools. The other day I got this email:

hi amyi'm looking for a book on autodesk inventor, intermediate and advanced have looked allover and can;t seem to find them, I need them to be 2008 but I would consider 2007.Tkanks Kevin

Usually those who teach use at least minimal punctuation. I was dubious. So I asked a few more questions, such as, "What school to do you teach at?" I got this response:

HI Amy
thanks for getting back so promptly, just as soon as school starts i will send you a e-mail with my .edu, also this is just in the planning stage now see i have 20 -30 students in the beginning inventor class and a lot of them want to go on but every time they try to set up a intermediate class there isn't a large enough turn out so my thought is to offer the classes every quarter then i will have beginning intermiteate and advanced inventor all in one the same lab. this might not even get through the dean so i don't know if you want to give me book so how about a list of the books and a price list

Thanks Kevin

OK, I'm still not convinced. No answer about his school affiliation, and it's not even a for-sure class yet, so it's not like he's in a time crunch. So I politely refer him to our online catalog. He says,

you should look at your catalog i did and there is only one title for inventor thats why I sent you a request for intermittent and advanced inventor books. after four e-maile you send me back to the catalog right where I started you an IDIOT

Wha-huh? First of all: no punctuation! C'mon, man, throw us a bone! And then: "intermittent" inventor books? Now really, who's the idiot here? I just had to laugh.

No comments: