Friday, October 12, 2007

It's Friday, and I'm Rambling

Today I shall bore you with loose ends. Read on...

1. The end is near! No, not the end of the world, the end of the diarrhea! Baby Boy's little body is now free of soy, and the grossness has ceased. Monday we will reintroduce soy to see if the symptoms come back. If they do, we add soy to the list of allergens.

2. As I am job hunting and getting more discouraged by the day, I'm realizing how much I've loved my 2-year stint in the publishing industry. As I told a colleague recently, doing this work was like meeting family for the first time. I'm looking at all sorts of other jobs, but nothing perks me up like publishing: sales, marketing, and especially editorial. Unfortunately, I live about as far away from the publishing center of the US (New York) as possible, and there are too few publishing jobs out here, especially in educational publishing. Here's my conclusion: THERE IS NOTHING ELSE I WANT TO DO. Nope. Nada. Nothing. I want to make books. That's it.

3. We've been thinking a lot about our daughter's education. We live in what most call a stellar school district, but she consistently brings home work WAAAAAY below her ability level. We are now almost 2 months into school and she is still reviewing work from 1st grade. Then I read Nutmeg's post today about her experience in the public schools, and am even more fired up about this issue. Daughter K says she finishes her schoolwork early and spends the rest of the time helping her peers. I endured that very fate when I was in school, and it's really a waste. I'm working on coming up with a plan to keep K engaged in learning at school, and will suggest it at Thursday's parent-teacher conference. Now, at t-minus-six days, I have no earthly idea what that plan would be. Might it be:
  • Move to the family farm in North Dakota so I can afford to stay home with my children and homeschool them?
  • Send "homeschool" worksheets with her to school to be completed after she does her regular work?
  • Sell a kidney so I can afford to send the girl to a private school?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me know when you've figured out the education thing! When you leave a comment on my site, your link doesn't work. Did you offer your self up as interview fodder today?

Amy said...

I will definitely let you know when I have some answers. I'll let the world know! Yes, I did offer myself up for interview fodder. Yes, indeedy. Sign me up.